A forum for discussion of Scottish independence and a second independence referendum.

If you have difficulty using the forum check out https://www.asgaros.de/docs/users-guide/
When posting, just type – you do not have to use the formatting buttons if you don’t want to

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Big Ginger Cat

We are all sad to hear about Paul's illness and wish him all the best for a speedy recovery. Part of that recovery involves not stressing about what is to happen to his blog in the meantime. So if you are reading this Paul, please rest and recuperate and stay positive!

It seems to me that the Duggers may be in need of an alternative space to exchange views about what is going on in Scottish politics. Staying current and relevant while also being positive is no light task. 

Scott Renewables has kindly made this forum available to independence supporters. It may be that a forum format doesn't lend itself to as lively a discussion as the blog format. In the blog, Paul's unique take on current events sets a positive tone. 

However, I thought we could start the ball rolling and see what people think. Maybe it would be possible to have a "blog" tab here if there are people able and willing to contribute an article and if Scott is willing to do that. I'm just flying kites at the moment so that, if it becomes necessary to suspend WGD temporarily, we have somewhere else to go. I know there are also other good blogs available.

The most important thing just now is that Paul doesn't feel under pressure to "do something" about his blog but can rest assured that we are all still here and ready to rejoin the discussion when he is fully recovered.

I think that's a good idea Capella  I wonder if there are one or two folk among us who would be willing and able to do a blog for  a wee while till Paul recovers. I read Ann B's links every day, but I don't always comment. She's doing sterling work and I wish a few more folk would start to make their way to it. The links are very informative and worthwhile. I know that Petra is trying hard to coax folk to come over and read them.

You'll notice that I'm not offering my services to this. I've had to take a break away for a while and rest my weary mind. All the constant negativity gets you down after a time. Macart used to take on the blog duties sometimes when Paul was away, but he doesn't post too often now, and I don't think that he has been in the best of health for a wee while. so any volunteers able to articulate their thoughts in a blog where we can share our views would be welcome.

Come on some of the young ones, how about giving us your thoughts on independence and what it means? We auld yins don't have the same energy as you. Plenty of commitment yes, energy not so much these days,

Hi folks great to see you on here and making constructive suggestions as to how to go forward, especially in the eventuality that WGD's site ends up out of commission at any given time.

There has been discussion on here previously Capella about the format and changes were made, however that didn't seem to work. Over 100 posts were made to which very few people responded to either.  Anyway let's see what comes out of this now and of course Paul himself may contact us to make some sort of recommendations.

Whatever the case you are right Capella when you say that, ''the most important thing just now is that Paul doesn't feel under pressure to "do something" about his blog but can rest assured that we are all still here and ready to rejoin the discussion when he is fully recovered.''

OK, here is a video that I think you will enjoy discussing to start you off.

Australians have watched with growing anger at what the Murdoch media monopoly is doing to our country.    A cancer on democracy.                Today I am launching a national petition to establish aMurdochRoyalCommission

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrKRudd/status/1314697819945492480

Brave of Kevin Rudd to take on the Murdoch empire. We, of course, have the same problem with all but 1 newspaper the mouthpiece of a hostile oligarch. And don't get me started on the BBC!

Thanks Ann.

Quote from Marie Clark on 18th October 2020, 1:35 pm

Macart used to take on the blog duties sometimes when Paul was away, but he doesn't post too often now, and I don't think that he has been in the best of health for a wee while. so any volunteers able to articulate their thoughts in a blog where we can share our views would be welcome.

Come on some of the young ones, how about giving us your thoughts on independence and what it means? We auld yins don't have the same energy as you. Plenty of commitment yes, energy not so much these days,

I feel the same Marie. Unfortunately, Macart has said he isn't able to take this on. It would need someone with administrator permissions to add posts to WGD and moderate comments. Paul was intending to get some help with moderation but I don't know whether anyone was appointed. We will have to wait and see for the next wee while. As long as the current page keeps functioning we can add comments - even if it takes an age to update!

Great news - Paul has just posted again on WGD. So it looks as though he will be able to keep up the blog, even if at a slower pace. It may be that he will be able to arrange for some help with articles and moderation to keep things flowing while he recuperates.

But now that we're here - what will we do?!

There is no harm at all in jumping between both, there are probably a lot of 'well-kent' names lurking rather than commenting, and anything which augments Ann's diligent efforts I'm sure will be most appreciated, if not for seeing like minded folks throw the occasional thumbs up.... 

My concerns with initial talk was Paul might panic his "baby" was going to disappear "somewhere else", the last thing needed in his current circumstance and condition, and it would also be grossly unfair for this site to be a temporary car-park, no offence intended.. Petra has been religiously promoting this site for ages with limited impact, so perhaps it can prove to be mutually beneficial in the long term by way of expanding it's original concept as a repository for all the idiocies, and god only knows they're increasing in frequency now the Moray Motormouth is being promoted...

I know zbob and I was very reluctant to do anything that might imply deserting the WGD blog. But as more comments accumulated it was slowing down the refresh rate and I thought there would come a time when it couldn't cope.

Petra has mentioned this site many times and it is a shame that the resource is so poorly used. Ann's links are so valuable but how many people see them unless they are coming over here for a reason. I think the "forum" format is difficult for people to engage with. A blog format is easier as each topic sets off a train of comments which have a flow and relevance (at least for the first dozen or so). 

A forum is more suited to a set list of "issues" which people continually revisit and add anything new. For example - Constitution - Section 30 - Currency - EU membership - Sovereignty - GERS  - BBC etc etc.

These issues churn round and round with no resolution. Perhaps no resolution is possible. Legislation gets passed which should be thoroughly examined e.g. the Internal Market Bill. Each of these topics, and more, could be a separate Forum topic. Someone could provide an initial pinned post setting out the basics. Everyone can then add a post with information or opinion. There need be no end to that  - until independence. 

That's my suggestion anyway - either a blog on this site or Forum topics each focusing on individual important aspects of our constitutional position. 

Now - who would write the introductory pinned tweets?

Forum for discussion of Scottish independence and a second independence referendum.